2PM - 3PM
This class is geared for housing professionals interested in fair housing and best practices on trending topics such as receiving and addressing requests for service/assistance animals, and HUD’s guidance on the use of criminal records in housing related transactions.
There is no cost to attend. This training is supported by funding under grants provided by the City of Holland and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Advance registration is required. Space is limited and demand is high! To register, complete the form below (one per person please) and email email@example.com or fax 616-451-2657. Please call 616-451-2980 with questions.
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
To attend an evening tester training, you can register online or contact Gabe Chapla at (616) 451-2980 or 1-866-389-FAIR.
Fair Housing Training for Holland Housing Professionals - June 21st
This one (1) hour long class is geared for housing professionals interested in fair housing and best practices on trending topics such as receiving and addressing requests for service/assistance animals, and HUD’s guidance on the use of criminal records in housing related transactions.
The cost to attend is free, but advance registration is required. Please email or fax registrations to firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-451-2657.
The FHCWM welcomes all to our community!
Regardless of immigration or refugee status, national origin, or religion- The Fair Housing Act protects you from housing discrimination based on national origin, religion, and other protected characteristics. If you feel you are being discriminated against because of your immigration or refugee status, ability to speak English, national origin, or religious beliefs- call our office for help!
Here are some signs of possible discrimination:
- refuse to rent to you because you are an immigrant or refugee or because of your religious faith;
- refuse to rent to you because you are not from the United States;
- charge you more rent or a higher security deposit because of where you are from, your immigration status, or because of your religious faith;
- require you to get a co-signer because you are an immigrant, refugee or because of your religion;
- tell you not to cook food you like because of the smell;
- refuse to rent to you because you or some of your family members do not speak English;
- tell you that you must speak English when outside of your apartment;
- force you to choose an apartment near other people who are from the same country, speak the same language as you, or are of the same religion;
- enforce rules against you or your family because you are an immigrant or refugee or because of your religion but not enforce those rules against anyone else.
Fact Sheet: Fair Housing for Refugees
While refugees are not a specific protected class under fair housing law, the protections against housing discrimination on the basis of national origin often extend to refugees. Download this fact sheet to learn more. Call (616) 451-2980 if you have questions about your rights or responsibilities to the Act.